Tips for Avoiding Generators, Shore Power and Massive Battery Bank
(Maximize Energy Efficiency)
Here are the top tips to avoid creating noise and air pollution via generators or other dirty power sources. These tips will also allow you to camp off grid in more places to save money and enjoy better scenery vs. crowded RV parks and campgrounds.
- Remove any roof top air conditioners and replace with skylight and solar panels.
- Install window air conditioner -Tutorial
- Park in the sun as much as possible after maximizing solar panel capacity.
- Keep solar panels clean, wipe at least once monthly or after dusty conditions.
- Cook at least one hour prior to sunset. You can reheat your food after sunset.
- Avoid running other AC appliances after sunset that are not necessary.
- Switch to as many DC powered electronics as possible (use inverter as little as possible).
- Don't open and close refrigerator/freezer unnecessarily after sunset.
- Run errands on cloudy/rainy days or after sunset to recharge with a battery isolator (alternator).
- Upgrade battery bank if after all of the above you still need external power often.